Alfa Roll Bars and Question about car history

       If you want to pursue your car's history, it might be nice if you let
us know where in the world your Alfa is.  Plus where it has been.
       There is no such thing as an "SCCA Approved" product.  SCCA does not
do product testing.  SCCA has specifications and requirements.  These rules
may include a requirement that certain products meet certain certification or
approval.  For example, helmets must have Snell Foundation certification,
drivers suits and seat belts must have SFI approval, etc.
       As George Schweikle noted, any roll bar that is tall enough to do you
any good is not going to clear your top easily.  Roll bars are not required
for SCCA autocross if the car is stock or street prepared.  The bolt in bars
sold as "street" bars are not good for competition.  They come up to about
the driver's ears and they do not have diagonal bracing inside the roll bar.
       AutoPower does sell a race height roll bar that does meet the old SCCA
racing roll bar specifications.  I have one in my 82 spider.  In order to get
the top up, I had to drill out the rivets the top pivots on and replace them
with bolts.  It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to put the top up or down, but
it does allow a top with a roll bar that might actually work in a roll over.
I will send you more details off line.
       There are roll bar specifications on line at:
http://www.aroc-usa.org/comp1.html  These were written some years ago before
I was AROC National Competition Chair, but I see no reason to change them.
These specifications will be enforced at all AROC national conventions and
should be followed or exceeded at all regional AROC competition events.
       As George also pointed out, you should not use full four or five point
seat belt harnesses unless you have a roll bar that is well above the top of
your head.  You do not want to be held upright in your seat in a roll over
with an inadequate roll bar.
       For a third brake light, why not find one from a 91 or newer spider?
It just bolts on top of the trunk lid.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 02/03/2002 3:34:00 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 12:41:34 -0600 (CST)
> From: "Gregory S. Youngblood" <greg@domain.elided>
> Subject: Question about car history...
>
> I recently bought a 1974 Spider. I was wondering (understandably a
> long-shot) if anyone might be familiar with this car and possibly know
> anything about its previous care and what looks like a partial restoration
> attempt or lots of storage.
>
> The previous documented owner was Rickenberg Raoul (as listed on the
> title), and the VIN is AR3045803.

<snip>

>  am planning on make a few changes to the 74 spider I just got. With an
> eye towards safety.
>
> My first plans include adding a roll bar, preferably one that will not
> interfere with the operation of the top. I found the bolt-on roll bars
> that say they are SCCA autocross approved (I believe). Is anyone familiar
> with them? Is a bolt-on roll bar as good as ones that are welded in place?
> Anyone have any advice on adding a roll bar to a spider?
>
> My next thought is adding a third brake light to the back. I know it's not

<snip>