Re:speedo accuracy

At 12:59 PM -0500 1/29/02, alfa-digest wrote:
>Now, suppose you find yourself with an electronic speedo and a good
>conneciton at the sender on a nice open stretch of road in a place where it
>is OK to drive like a maniac, such as Germany or Italy.  As you approach the
>speed of light, will the speedo be more or less accurate?  You won't be able
>to use the watch and road markings technique as time will slow down.  How can
>you calibrate it?

Well, the speedo's electrical systems will still be 100% accurate,
because both the sender and the gauge will be stationary in your
reference frame.  As for measuring the accuracy of the gauge at these
speeds, I think this is where fancy GPS toys come in handy.  If your
GPS isn't programmed to compensate for the weird stuff that happens
at slightly subluminal speeds, just have your wife stand on the side
of the road and measure the length of the car when it goes by at a
given indicated speed on the speedo.  Your actual speed can be
determined by the percentage difference in the real length of your
car and length observed by your wife.  The car will appear shorter by
a factor of the square root of (1 - B^2) where B is your speed as a
factor of the speed of light.  So just solve (1 - B^2) = [(observed
length) / (proper length)]^2 for B and multiply B by the speed of
light (299,792,458 m/sec last time I checked) and see if it matches
the speedo.  But you might want to check my math first.  All I know
for sure is that it's not worth investing in clear taillight lenses
for your Honda because at those speeds (assuming your Honda has a big
enough Wal-Mart spoiler to allow it to reach those speeds) they'll
just appear red to stationary observers and slower traffic anyway,
due to the Doppler shift of the light waves.