Re:speedo accuracy

In a message dated 01/28/2002 10:36:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> At a true 60 mph, it takes 1.00 minutes to go one mile.  If your clock
> measures 10% less than that, you travelled the mile 10% faster, or 66
> mph.  10% more time means 10% slower, or 54 mph.  For what it's worth,
> my Alfetta comes up reading fast.  Indicated 70 mp really is about 66
> mph, according to calcs.

First, I've used the milles bornes (mile marker) method to check the speedo
accuracy of the 84 GTV6, the 87 75, and the 91 Spider as well as the older
system on the 71 Spider.  The electronic speedos, when working (actually,
mostly always) seem to be quite accurate on my examples; using a little
simple math it also appears they are more accurate at midrange speeds and
progressively less accurate at low or exciting speeds.  Of course, on all
Alfas the most inaccurate speed is stopped.  I suppose this is an accuracy
curve.  The mechanical system on the 71 which was broken a LOT of the time,
was never accurate, but the degree and direction of the error is now lost in
the mists of time.  I used the tach anyhow.

Now, suppose you find yourself with an electronic speedo and a good
conneciton at the sender on a nice open stretch of road in a place where it
is OK to drive like a maniac, such as Germany or Italy.  As you approach the
speed of light, will the speedo be more or less accurate?  You won't be able
to use the watch and road markings technique as time will slow down.  How can
you calibrate it?

Stumped in LA
Charlie
LA, CA, USA