re: mag wheels

I'm no metallurgist but I play one on TV. <rimshot> In my early days experimenting with drugs, sandblasters and sex I took a severely curbed Chromodora wheel from my Fiat 850 and blasted the poor bugger down to the bare metal. For kicks I lit off some shavings with a torch -Who-who!- and once the firestorm subsided I proceeded to clear coat the wheel using krylon clear coat. I tossed it in a paint oven for good measure. A few months later the wheel started to get very fuzzy as the magnesium corroded under the clear coat, which was clearly (ha ha) unsuited for the job. They paint them with special paint for good reason! I do also remember seeing these wheels corroding inside at the center where they contacted the hub. No conclusions are to be drawn directly from this wandering story. Just my two cents (dollars or euros!). Back to the regularly scheduled stepper motor discussion...

--
Michael Williams
Sacramento, CA, USA

69 Duetto