SPICA Pump Cold Start Plunger

Hi All,

My spider SPICA Cold Start plunger has swollen and is sticking.  So I had to
disconnect the solenoid.  It would start reasonably well in warm
weather--20-30 seconds in start (10 second burst).  In the cold weather its
not so "easy".  As you would guess, it can quickly kill a battery.  It would
be great to replace the pump but I cannot do that just yet.  I know that I
can remove some material from the plunger to get it back into spec.  But, I
am not sure how to get to the plunger with the pump on the car.  I know that
the nut on the bottom of the plunger will provide access.  How can i get the
plunge disconnected and out of the pump while its still on the car and get
it back together again. Did any of you do this, or is it a foolhardy
undertaking?  If you have done this please share your know how.  I would be
forever in your debt.

Thanks,
David