Re: Girdle, welded? (was: Re:2L head bolts)

In a message dated 1/13/02 11:14:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
johnhertzman@domain.elided writes:

> In AD8-0371 John Fielding says "I was told by a knowledgable person that the
> head retaining studs are in fact welded to a steel girdle which is placed
> into
> the casting mould before the ali is poured.  I know that certain studs
> suffer
> from corrosion more than others, IIRC the two near the rear on the intake
> side
> of the block seem to waste away faster than the others.  Any body confirm
> the
> story about the stud girdle??"
>
> All I can confirm is that the parts books show individual studs, threaded at
> both ends, quantity ten, described as "Stud, head" - 105.41.01.103.01 in the
> case of the 105/115/116 two-liters. Hypothetically could be threaded, not
> welded, into a girdle, but I can't see why they would be. "Knowledgeable
> person" may perhaps be confusing with some other product?

The studs are indeed threaded, as I had to replace a corroded set on my
Duetto, and have witnessed several other sets removed and replaced on later 2
liter Alfas. They were certainly not welded in place, and were removed with a
standard Snap On stud removal tool. The "knowledgeable person" was clearly
thinking of some other aluminum block and head, wet liner 4 cylinder engine
(since there are so many others out there).
Cheers,
Paul Mitchell