Girdle, welded? (was: Re:2L head bolts)

In AD8-0371 John Fielding says "I was told by a knowledgable person that the
head retaining studs are in fact welded to a steel girdle which is placed into
the casting mould before the ali is poured.  I know that certain studs suffer
from corrosion more than others, IIRC the two near the rear on the intake side
of the block seem to waste away faster than the others.  Any body confirm the
story about the stud girdle??"

All I can confirm is that the parts books show individual studs, threaded at
both ends, quantity ten, described as "Stud, head" - 105.41.01.103.01 in the
case of the 105/115/116 two-liters. Hypothetically could be threaded, not
welded, into a girdle, but I can't see why they would be. "Knowledgeable
person" may perhaps be confusing with some other product?

Cordially

John H.

Raleigh, N.C.