re: lowered Milanos

The reason Luca can lower his 1.8L 75 and somebody else can't imagine
doing so without scraping the exhaust is because Luca's doesn't have
the catalytic converter and instead has the exhaust system that the
car was actually designed for.  As much as I like clean air, the
truth is that the USA-spec exhaust system on the Milano is a horrible
hack-job that hangs down way too low and risks cracking the manifolds
as it lacks the flex pipes of the non-cat system.  On the V6 anyway,
the downpipes themselves hang down lower than the front mufflers.
Look under your USA Milano and imagine how far you could safely lower
it on the stock bars if the bottom of the downpipe was as low as it
got before curving *up* to reach the front mufflers.  Tom Zat's "Fast
Cats" look like a reasonable solution that would still pass smog,
although I've heard nothing but bad things about their fit & finish
quality.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6 (stinkin' it up w/ the Euro exhaust)