Re: alfa-digest V8 #362

OK! I guess I missed something. Alex who, is full of shit why?
I must say I am pleasantly amused and satisfied about the general feeling on
the digest about Alfa's relationship with GM. A couple of hundred digests ago
you guys were ready to string me up for saying that GM couldn't or wouldn't
pull off this Alfa thing. Now it looks like I was right. GM cares about
profit, once they have your money they won't give a rats ass whether or not
your expensive Italian car runs... Nor will they be willing to do anything
about it. They will never be able to sell enough Alfas to make a serious
profit because they won't be able to swing buyers away from BMW, Acura,
Lexus, Mercedes et al., because they won't offer the customer service the
clients of the other marques take for granted. That's where GM's problem is
now! They don't care about their customer base. Alfa is successfully
competing in Europe because they are hitting niches with their products.
Those niches don't exist in the USA. If I wanted an underpowered two seat
convertible and had $40,000 to spend I could buy a new RWD MR2 (instead of
FWD drive ALFA) and then go shopping at TRD. By the time I was finished I
would have a car that would show a clean pair of heels to anything less than
a supercar, would still covered by the factory warranty and would run
everyday for the next 200,000 miles. Face facts, GM/Alfa is going to have to
convince a skeptical public that they have a good quality product, and MOST
IMPORTANTLY, are willing to stand by their product when things go wrong.
(which they do on ALL cars now and then). GM can't or won't take care of
customers that buy hundreds of thousands of their products, what makes any of
you think they will care about the small market Alfa offers. Before anyone
replies, does the word "Oldsmobile" mean anything to you? Think Alfa will
sell more cars than Olds? GM did a great job with that didn't they? Saturn
hasn't been setting the world on fire lately either. GM--- G-et M-oney.
Watch.
Thomas A. Gonnella