Re: More woes with Trusty the Alfetta

I had a couple of good suggestions from the digest to do with
good diagnostic practices for the current draw, plus a suggestion
from Ian Rankin that perhaps my Alternator wasn't happy.

Here's what happened yesterday.

After I double checked everything and found it all to be in order,
despite a continually discharging battery, I went to the auto
electrician in dispair.  He checked all the things I did
(alternator putting out 13.6 volts at idle and more at revs),
the current draw with everything switched off was nominal (just
the station memories in the CD player).  He shrugged and
concluded that I must have left my headlights on to discharge
the battery.

After charging it up again (it charges up fine), I drove around
a bit on a few errands.  I ended up having to push start the
bastard of a thing a few times but no big deal (park near
ramps :-)

Anyway, in despair, I disconnected the battery altogether after charging
it up and discovered that it discharges all by itself!

Replaced it with a new battery today and everything is fine again.

I've never seen a battery die like that before.  Normally, they
die on me because they won't take a charge.  This one took a charge
but couldn't hold it for more than about 30 minutes at a time.

Odd side effect:  The car now runs cooler.  No idea how to explain
that, other than the temp. gauge relies somehow on system voltage
in it's display.  At least this episode gave me the kick up the
bum I needed to change out the defective starter motor.

thanks to Ian Rankin and Ed Prytherch for your suggestions.

dave.