More woes with Trusty the Alfetta

Flat batteries to be exact.

I've been having an intermittent problem with the starter motor,
the solenoid would seize and never engage the starter.  It was usually
overcome by holding the key in the start position until the solenoid
woke up and kicked into life.

However, a couple of days ago it died seemingly permanently.  Along
with it's death, I had a flat battery after parking overnight.
I don't know if they're related or not (can't see how, but...).

Today I swapped out the Bosch starter with a Magneti Marelli unit
I had in the shed (bought for a rainy day :-).  Plunked it in,
charged up the battery and it whooped into life (the Marelli units
sound very different to the Bosch ones.  Dunno why #2).

Happy and content, I shut the shed and had some lunch.  Came back
out to go to the mall and the battery was dead flat again.

I've obviously got a short somewhere.  I unplugged the radio and
futzed with the battery terminals - they still sparked despite
no discernable electrics being connected (it's a 1978 Alfetta GTV,
there is no clock, no glovebox light, the interior lights are
switched off as they are useless).

I checked and double checked the usual suspects (no current that
I can see coming through the ignition circuit, no headlights or
wipers left on etc.).

Anybody have any more clues they can offer?  I'm parking with the
battery disconnected and it's a PITA.

dave.

1978 Alfetta GTV "trusty" due for a holiday I think
1975 Alfa Spider Veloce "rusty"
1994 Volvo 850T5 wagon (dead turbo, two bald front tyres, one speeding
ticket.  Don't buy these for your wife :-)