3 Cylinder 2 strokes & Saabs

Scott mentions the Saab 96  <(though I believe the
last of the 96 series were still available, at least
in Europe, when the 99s were being sold ->

The 96 by this time had the German Ford Taunus narrow angle V4 four stroke
engine and made a mighty rally car in the hands of Stig Blomquist...who is
still driving not far from the top level nearly thirty years later. A friend
of mine had one.

There were three notable 3 cylinder 2 stroke cars I know of: Saab 92/94, Auto
Union 1000 (very much the forerunner of todays Audi) and the East German
Wartburg from Eisenach. I don't know if they all used the same engine, but
they were all late fifties early sixties contemporaries so there may be a
connection. All were FWD and had free wheel devices to offset the roughness of
a 2 stroke on the overrun. The engines sounded great, but were not that
powerful given their small size.

Tim Hancock   164TS lusso  Boston UK