Replies to a few old posts!

OK - I know that some of these posts might be really old, but I'm just
reading all the posts that have come in over the holidays.  Just couldn't
resist putting in my two bob's worth!

"Overheat weirdness in Alfetta GTV (AD 319)"

David Rubie writes of his overheating in the airport tunnel.  A couple of
suggestions:  Don't' know what the ambient temperature would be in the
tunnel on a hot afternoon, but maybe you just weren't getting enough cool
air through?  The other option is that maybe your thermostat just stuck
closed for a bit?  Thermostats can do this.

"164 Rear trunk latch failure (AD 320 and AD 321)"

My boot (trunk) latch didn't fail, but I replaced it a while back to get a
new boot badge - some low life had tried to lever it off.  To buy the
badge, I had to buy a whole latch, however the new latch is sans the lock
barrel.  I couldn't work out how to transfer the lock barrel to the new
latch, so instead I transferred the new badge to the old latch.

What has failed, though, is the striker bolted to the bodywork.  This has a
metal tube that the latch hooks on to.  It is not really all metal, - it is
really a metal tube with a plastic tube underneath, presumably to give some
sort of shock absorption when the boot lid id closed (or slammed if your
friends are anything like mine). In mine, the plastic had crumbled - I
prised the whole thing apart and slid in a length of slit fuel hose to
replace the plastic.  This is not an ideal repair - I will eventually have
to get a new striker.  I don't think that I have described this very well,
but have a look at it and you will see what I'm talking about.

Michael Smith writes in AD 321 about his boot light turning off after a few
minutes.  Mine stays on all the time that the boot is open.  What does
happen is that the interior lights switch off after less than a minute - it
is supposed to do this (according to the owner's manual) and it's a bloody
nuisance when trying to unload baby and other stuff in the dark!.

"AC temp display illumination on 164 (AD 328)"

Peter, the bulbs in the AC display are replaceable.  The unit comes out of
the dash by unclipping the boomerang-shaped trim piece in the centre
console.  Under this are two large screws and clips.  Remove these, and
lift out the unit.  Unplug the multiway plug in the back.  At each end of
the unit there are two screws - remove these and the unit will separate
into two halves joined by a ribbon cable.  The globes are held by small
bayonet-type fittings.

John Wiltshire
Now cauught up with Holiday ADs
and back in the present!

are addressed.

If you have received this email in error, you are prohibited from reading,
copying, distributing and using the information.
Please contact the sender immediately by return email and destroy
the original message.