power window screech

I posted this question earlier, but got no response, so am trying again.
I'm getting a terrible screech from the driver-side power window on my '89
Spider when I raise or lower the glass. The pace of the window's travel has
also slowed considerably. Could the glass be misaligned? Or are the motor
and/or regulater shot or about to be shot?
I have an OEM motor and regulator, still in the orange boxes, given to me by
the P.O. when I bought the car. but at least one of the boxes (regulator, I
think; I'm at work and don't have 'em handy) says it's for the right side,
if my memory serves, which it sometimes doesn't.
Are either of these parts ambidextrous?

Mike Trimble
Denton, Texas
1980 Spider Veloce