FWD/RWD/AWD, New Alfas, Audi A4, WRX

Hi,

Just a few musings:

    I think I know why most Alfisti in the USA prefer RWD - they are mostly
older (over 35), and grew up driving RWD on (usually) well-maintained roads,
and they got used to driving a RWD car.  However, I am almost certain that
if our younger populace were surveyed, they would be happy with FWD
(although both groups would probably agree that AWD is better, but isn't as
affordable).
    For a fast street/ track/ autocross car, many FWD cars are very
competitive (just ask the racing crowd out there).  Cars like the Integra
(now RS), Civic, GTI, Jetta, Celica, Eclipse (and Alfa in Europe) and many
more use FWD and still perform very well.  Excellent street/ track and rally
performance has (of course) been shown by AWD vehicles like Audi and Subaru
(many others too).  The AWD setup does have some (minor) weight and
complexity disadvantages in track and autocross situations, however.  To be
sure, RWD cars are still very popular, and do well (if in a well-balanced
chassis).  Modern front-engined examples like BMWs, Mustangs, Lexus
(Lexae?), Mercedes, Porsches (944/968/928), Mazda RX-7s, Toyota Supras and
other RWD cars have many advantages in weight transfer, allowing better
acceleration and more available power on the track.  But these advantages
aren't really relevant on the street.
    In my opinion, if you want to burn rubber, go buy a muscle-car!  RWD
Alfas weren't made for doing that.  They were designed for "great handling"
on the track and on the street, and they were among the best handling cars
for their time.  But when we talk of 'new ' cars, manufacturers have learned
a lot from the successes of the early small, sporty cars like the mini
cooper and the first generation GTI.  Many of today's RWD cars are still
great handling street cars (as long as the weather doesn't call for too much
rain or snow).  But, if you live in a snowy area, or want good all-around
driveability, reliability and gas mileage, while maintaining very decent
handling, the technology and better slippery surface handling in FWD cars
makes them a better alternative for all-purpose driving.
    Ultimately, the best system for all road conditions is AWD.  If I had to
buy a new Alfa replacement right now, I would look to the WRX, or the A4
1.8T.  However, I think I can wait.  If I could ask the Alfa Gods for one
thing, it would be to give us AWD versions of all their cars...in fact, I
would ask that they don't even bother bringing over any FWD cars!  Just
think of it - new Alfas that handle great and have the quirkiness and
complexity of AWD and  CVT!!  What a great way to maintain the Alfa image
(and you think the Verde's ABS is complex!).

Standing by for flames!
Alex Csank
'69 Spider 1300 Junior (RWD/ 5-speed manual)
'78 Sprint Veloce (RWD/ 5 speed manual)
'87 Milano Gold (RWD/ 5-speed manual)
'98 VW Jetta TDi (FWD and Turbo- Diesel/ 5-speed manual))