side mirrors - screw 'em?

or bolt 'em?

I was given a lovely pair of round, chrome side mirrors for my '71 GTV for
Christmas. I plan on replacing a curious add-on that was installed at some
point down the line, and also adding a mirror to the passenger side. I know
the purists will disagree, as the car should have only one - drivers side. I
am a mirror user rather than a head turner tho, so I'm gonna go for it and
drill holes in my virgin door :(   eek

Question is: Is it sufficient to just use screws (presumably stainless sheet
metal screws), or do I need to get inside the door and put a nut on a bolt?

Thanks Much!

--
James Cook
'71 GTV