Re: alfa-digest V8 #328

>Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 20:12:50 -0500
>From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
>Subject: weird GTV6 engine problem
>
>It starts
>fine, and idles as well as it ever does, but doesn't sound quite
>right.  Then when you get on the power it vibrates horribly and is
>down on power--initially I thought it was running on fewer than 6
>cylinders.  A little unevenness is also evident under engine braking.
>The first time it happened I pulled over shortly after leaving my
>driveway and jiggled all the important connections, but to no avail.
>So I continued, through my small town.  I wondered if maybe the
>timing had jumped, but about 6 min into the drive (about the time the
>temperature gauge started to move), I pulled away from a stop sign
>and it was running fine.  Today, similar problem, but it went away in
>less than 5 min.

Mine did the same thing.  I cured it with a few runs to redline and a
few minutes with the foot to the floor in top gear.  Both the GTV6 and I
have been happy ever since.

This was a few years ago when I was still living in San Diego, so I know
my problem was definitely not related to cold weather.

-Dennis
Sunnyvale, CA
'85 GTV6