Remote booster Q

I was working on a friends Lancia Scorpion last week. It has the same remote
brake booster setup as some Alfas so I thought the smart folks here could
help. I've been trying to follow some of the threads here about remote
boosters but I'm missing something.
His brakes just lock tight with the motor running. Brakes work fine with
motor off.
I guess that the larger diaphram is working properly but how does the other
one work? Can someone give me some insight on what activates this system or
some basic principals of the remote booster setup?
Thanks in advance,

-Thad Kirk
So far today:
1971 Fiat 850 Racer