Milano mysteries of the electrons

In a message dated 12/29/2001 3:53:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Last evening a problem surfaced on my Milano, which I suspect could be a
> defective relay and/or short within the electrical system.  The problem
> goes
> like this:  when I apply my brakes while the turn-indicator is engaged, the
>
> turn indicator ceases to function.
>
> Other symptoms include the "rear fog lamp switch" (above front fog/driving
> lamps) which glows when the brakes are engaged (with or without headlights
> on) and then blinking when the turn indicator is engaged (with or without
> headlights on).  Also, when the brakes are engaged, the front turn
> indicators
> illluminate along with the brakes.

I think the same things cropped up on our ex-75... now just give me a while
to figure out which of the things that needed a little attention caused that
situation.  While I am thinking, go into the trunk and check out the ground
(black) wires running to the tail light fixtures.  These tend to get hot and
melt some of the plastic of the fixture and their insulation and this results
in a short that causes all kinds of symptoms.  Solution: replace the fixtures
with new ones.

If that one doesn't do it, check out the multi-switch stalk on the left of
the column and also check to see if the lighting circuit relay was installed
(a tech bulletin fix on many of these cars); as I recall it is under the dash
and somewhere N of the driver's L knee.

When you find it (could be a task) it will be a pretty easy and
straightforward fix.

Best luck.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA