Trunk release saga

At the risk of creeping even further out on the limb, does the dashboard
switch test as open or closed? 164 switches seem uniformly
troublesome.  Maybe one way to test this is to leave the trunk open for 20
minutes or so, now you have disconnected the solenoid rod. if the Alfa
Romeo Control Unit still doesn't turn off the trunk light then there must
be an electrical signal confusing the Control Unit. In other words, to
confuse the Alfa Romeo Control Unit something must be telling it that the
trunk is closed or it would automatically turn off the interior lights,
including the trunk light.

I'm pretty sure the Control Unit picks up its signal from the same switch
that turns the interior or trunk light on and off. In the case of the doors
I'm sure because my left rear door sometimes won't close tight enough to
trigger the internal door position sensor. It looks closed but isn't as far
as the Control Unit is concerned. Result is no interior light or trunk
light until that door is re opened and closed more firmly. The alarm and
power locks also won't work if the door is not tightly closed! So, the
question remains, if the trunk switch detects that the trunk is open (as it
must if it is open) why doesn't it signal the Control Unit to turn off the
trunk light? Something is telling the Control Unit that the trunk is not
open. The Control Unit also prevents the trunk release from operating if
the car has been moving until the car has been stationary for around 30
seconds. I don't know if you can even drive with the trunk open, I've not
tried that.

On my SAAB 9000, the hatch release solenoid is very stiff in the sense that
it opens powerfully. There isn't really a closed function as slamming the
hatch (or trunk) is what re sets the latch for the next open function. This
is different from the door lock solenoids which have an open and closed
function. For that matter the door lock solenoids are pretty darn powerful
as they continue to operate even when the door lock buttons cannot be
operated by hand.

Cheers

Michael

Michael Smith