164 idle question

Last week I noticed that my LS would idle at about 1000 rpm.  For the most
part this was before the engine was completely  warmed up (but sometimes
afterwards, too).  Strangely enough, when I turned on the climate control
and when the low-speed fan kicked in, the idle would return to  750 rpm.
After a few days everything more or less returned to normal.  The LS idles
at 750 with or without the A/C.  I should add that it's been "freezing" here
in San Francisco.  High 40s to low 50s.  Yeah, I know, I'm a wimp...

This morning I checked the fault code and got a 4444, so no apparent problem
there.  Just to be sure I checked the coolant sensor at the thermostat.  The
wire has plenty of slack and I cleaned the sensor with good contact cleaner.
 I also checked out the idle actuator valve near the firewall and all seems
OK.

Does anyone have any comments and/or suggestions about any of the above?

Paul Cuadra@domain.elided

95 LS 5-speed
97 Moto Guzzi Sport

PS -- I took the 164 out this morning to the mountains south of SF.  Almost
no one out due to the rain, etc.  What an awesome car!  There's nothing
sweeter than shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 5K rpm.  And the powerband begins
at 5K!  After these Italian tune-ups, all the squeaks and groans from the
chassis magically disappear.  Despite a curb weight of 3500 lbs, the 164s
are actually quite nimble once on the move.   Drive/ride safe/