AROC Spider of the Year, or something :-)

George Schweikle wrote:

> I did this on my '76  and it
> makes the thing look like a real Spider (See the
> Dec. Alfa Owner, page 8).

Oh *yeah*.  THAT'S what I'm talking about.

For anyone who hasn't seen this picture yet... George,
your Spider is now the mental image I have of what a
Spider should look like. :-)  I'm not sure I'd go so
far as to mount those flares on mine (unless I want to
go SP and need the wider wheels), but... wow.

If it's not giving anything away -- how is your Spider
set up for autocrossing?  I'm currently deliberating
over my 2002 motorsports participation, and the Oregon
Region SCCA's Solo II program is very appealing (I ran
Solo II in Cal Club, then San Francisco region, from
1986-1990, took a few years off to go road racing, and
have only dabbled in it since then).  My '74 Spider is
documentably stock in every way that SCCA cares about
(stock cams, Spica, wheels, springs, bars), but it
might be fun to run 2002 in stock form while
researching and amassing parts for an SP conversion
next winter.

More to the point, I'm sure the rest of the Digest (or
perhaps even Alfa Owner -- do I smell a co-authored
tech article?) would love to hear what you've done to
that gorgeous car...

And of course, Joe Cantrell will rightly chime in
(most likely with a limerick), after hearing me whine
for the past six months, to warn me that your car will
undoubtedly have even LESS ground clearance than mine,
on the bumpy country roads out here in "backwater"
land...  so I'll open the bidding with this:

My Spider's in very nice shape,
But on driveways and speed bumps I scrape!
Joe says, "Un-guard your sump!"
But I fear the next bump
Would commit several paychecks to APE.

(An excess of the brandy alambic
Brings forth doggerel in meter iambic;
But a well-roasted bean
Rich in finest caffeine
Gives us limericks on topics Ricambic...)

--Scott "See what I mean about kindred spirits, Joe?"
Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon
http://greetings.yahoo.com