Importing from Europe

Has anyone imported a car from Europe?  If so, any good advice, web pages or
references I should look at?

Specifically, I'm wondering if the car is brought over by ship, do I have to
meet it at the port of landing or can the car then be shipped directly to my
home city.  I realize anything can be done if one is willing to pay for it
but I'd like to know what is the more practical approach.

Secondly, how does one arrange a PPI in Europe?  I am interested in cars
currently in Switzerland and Italy.

Thanks,

Henry