tranny fluid

In a message dated 12/18/2001 9:17:57 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> my friendly mechanic changed my 86 spider's
> tranny fluid (manual) a bit ago. now, when
> starting (car cold) i get grinding into
> 2nd gear. if the day is really cold, into
> 3rd also. a brief blast down the street
> warms the stuff, allowing it to shift ok.

david,
  i had the same problem in my '89 milano.  I could not even get the car into
2nd on really cold days.  A digesti recommended using redline 75W90 NS.  It
absolutely worked.   I don't know if redline will work in your spider...
perhaps a fellow digesti can comment?
 You can get redline products at Pro-Am  on Richmond Ave here in houston.
joel lewis