3 lanes out of 2

I experienced "3 lanes out of 2" many times in West Texas during my 4 years living in San Antonio (1985 - 1989). It scared the Yankee piss out of me the first few times I saw a big pick-up truck coming at me in the midst of a passing maneuver with no intention of completing the pass before I go to his position.

Bernie? Is this still a local custom, as is collecting empty Lone Star cans in the back of the truck?

Karl
1995 164LS
Grew-up on the right coast, now living on the left coast