Re: 3 lanes out of 2

Karl Doll wrote:

> I experienced "3 lanes out of 2" many times in West Texas during my 4 years living in
> San Antonio (1985 - 1989). It scared the Yankee piss out of me the first few times I
> saw a big pick-up truck coming at
> me in the midst of a passing maneuver with no intention of completing the pass before
> I go to his position.
>
> Bernie? Is this still a local custom, as is collecting empty Lone Star cans in the
> back of the truck?

Actually, Karl, I've seen more of those type shenanigans in the eastern part of Texas,
but it does happen on occasion in "these here parts" too! I've seen a few oncomin'
folks needlessly move to the shoulder when I'm passin' a slower vehicle (that's
pronounced vee-*hick*-ill by the locals) even though there's plenty of room for me to
complete the pass before they're encountered. Also, in East Texas there are roads with
a middle lane designed to be used for "passin' only" by *either* direction of traffic.
I always found those "either-way" lanes to be rather disconcerting, although they are
effective if used properly.

Bernie
'83 GTV6 w/386,491 (s)miles today
Alpine, Texas