re: Stebro is a crook shop

Karl Chen wrote a nice little bit about Stebro, I'd like to add some
comments.

A good friend of mine bought a Stebro cat back system for his Audi
Quattro last winter.  It arrived within a coupla weeks I believe & he
brought it over to my garage so we could install it.  I've done enough
exhausts in my garage to know how to install them but this one was being
a pain in the butt.  We could not get the thing to line up properly, no
matter what we did.  There was about 2mm of clearance over one of the
rear driveshafts & it would obviously rub as soon as he drove it.   We
had all new chain hangers (a small chain is built into the rubber to
prevent stretching) but those were did not really help.  My friend
called Stebro several times for help & they said were installing it
wrong.  Right.  They suggested starting with the rear muffler & working
forward.  He even took it to his mechanic & with the help of two techs
there they could not get it to work.  Basically the hanger rods were
welded in the wrong place, bent at the wrong angles, & were usually too
long.  He tried several times to get a refund but Stebro basically kept
telling him it was operator error.  He finally broke down & paid an
exhaust shop to fix the hanger rods & cut out a short section & add a
different, realigned section to make it work.  It seems to fit ok now
but the tips hang down from the bumper a bit more than the stock system.
Maybe this is because the entire cat back system is made out of overly
thick, heavy stainless steel!  Don't buy one of these systems if you
would like to keep the weight down on your car.

Cheers,
Zach
Redmond, WA