do cheap rust repairs work?

In V8 #274 Andrew Watry wonders: "...plenty of GTVs and Berlinas have
rust
around the windshield, particularly US 2000 Berlinas on the upper part
where
the windshield meets the roof.  I'd like to fix my Berlina in this area
(which is bubbling nicely and leaks water into the interior through the
headliner), but despair of the hassle and expense of taking the glass
out
and doing a full-on correct welded-metal rust repair.

"Has anyone had success with a well-done bondo or other type of repair,
perhaps even without removing the glass?  I'm obviously not looking to
achieve a concours Berlina, but want something presentable that might
last
five years or so."

***********

Andrew, suggest you grind out the bubbles. If they're fairly small try
using a Dremel with appropriate fittings. Try to remove as much rust as
possible. Mask around the area you're working on so as to not damage
good paint. If the area is extensive, coat with a zinc chromate or a
phosphoric acid solution (I'll leave it up to the chemists to say which
is best). Let dry overnight. Use JB Weld spreading on with a small
trowel / stick (tongue depressor). Again let dry overnight then sand as
necessary. Unless it's perfectly smooth, use a metal glaze such as
Evercoat's to fill in pits and sand smooth. Ideally an airbrush would be
best to spray on the primer paint, but if you can get a decent match in
a spray can at say Pep Boys, then go for it.

I could suggest a few more steps, but have already run your supply costs
up.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA