RE: do cheap rust repairs work?

"Watry, Andrew (LNG-MBC)" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided> wrote:
>Just from asking the question in the subject line I ought to know the
>answer.  But here's the specifics: plenty of GTVs and Berlinas have rust
>around the windshield, particularly US 2000 Berlinas on the upper part where
>the windshield meets the roof.  I'd like to fix my Berlina in this area
>(which is bubbling nicely and leaks water into the interior through the
>headliner), but despair of the hassle and expense of taking the glass out
>and doing a full-on correct welded-metal rust repair.  The car is hardly
>worth it.  Also, glued Berlina windshields are hard to find.  The cost of a
>new windshield, plus the glass shop's time, could easily hit $500 in
>Berkeley.  Heck, I can buy a whole Berlina for that.
[stuff deleted]

On my disreputable looking Alfetta GTV (rust around the bottom of the
windscreen rather than top), I initially started doing a bondo repair but
realised the futility of it pretty quickly.  You're really only encouraging
more rust.  Bite the bullet and pop the windscreen out.  Good windscreen guys
can get it out and back in without busting it (mine did).
The majority of the money that disappears is in labour, so learning to use
a welder (or even brazing small problem areas - much easier) is a useful
and money saving skill.  Having said that, getting a functional repair is
relatively easy with some practice, but having it look nice as well is
a skill that is still currently beyond me.  I repaired the Alfetta with
a section cut from a wrecked car (that was surprisingly free of rust) but
doing that with a hole roof is obviously going to be hard.

Pop out the windscreen and braze (rather than weld) some steel in there,
it's a good compromise if the rust isn't in the windscreen pillars.

dave.