do cheap rust repairs work?

Just from asking the question in the subject line I ought to know the
answer.  But here's the specifics: plenty of GTVs and Berlinas have rust
around the windshield, particularly US 2000 Berlinas on the upper part where
the windshield meets the roof.  I'd like to fix my Berlina in this area
(which is bubbling nicely and leaks water into the interior through the
headliner), but despair of the hassle and expense of taking the glass out
and doing a full-on correct welded-metal rust repair.  The car is hardly
worth it.  Also, glued Berlina windshields are hard to find.  The cost of a
new windshield, plus the glass shop's time, could easily hit $500 in
Berkeley.  Heck, I can buy a whole Berlina for that.

Has anyone had success with a well-done bondo or other type of repair,
perhaps even without removing the glass?  I'm obviously not looking to
achieve a concours Berlina, but want something presentable that might last
five years or so.  If I could fix it this way I'd be happy to get a Miracle
paint job that would make the car less disreputable.  Any useful advice or
experiences appreciated.  I realize I'm probably hoping for too much ...

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register