older spider ashtray light

In a message dated 12/06/2001 2:14:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I'm somewhat convinced it's sort of a Zen thing (not that I have a clue
> what Zen really is) the Alfa Ashtray designer thought would be
> interesting so that later generations of restorers would have something
> to mull over.

I could be wrong, but I recall in the 71 spider there was a light meant to
shine inside the weird popup cigarette lighter so you could find the
insertion point in the dark.  I don't think it was meant to shine into the
ashtray.  The whole arrangement was molto weirdo.  The very best thing of
course is to quit smoking and take out the light.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA