Re: alfa-digest V8 #241 - bad vibes - 87 Spider

In a message dated 11/20/2001 10:11:27 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 21:24:58 EST
> From: RMMLA@domain.elided
> Subject: MOFW - bad vibes - 87 Spider
>
> Does the vibration from a bad drive shaft donut feel anything like a wheel
> with a thrown balancing weight?
> Mike Morgan

       Crawl underneath and look at the Giubo.  Most likely it has stress
cracks.  The Alfetta / GTV-6 / Milano engine speed drive shafts will throw
off chunks of rubber, which creates a horrible out of balance vibration.  It
also makes quite a racket when the rubber bounces out from under the car.
The 105 / 115 drive shafts only turn at engine speed in fourth gear, so they
are less likely to throw out chunks of rubber.
       I bought a 91 Spider a year ago that the Giubo had come apart.  The
drive shaft ate its way into the interior.  The damage was pretty severe.
The insurance company totaled it and I got the owner to buy it back from the
insurance company and sell it to me.  I did not know insurance would cover
mechanical failures.
       I bought a new console, carpet and welded in a 2 x 3 foot section of
driveshaft tunnel.  I used the transmission and driveshaft from an 85 spider.
 It is now my wife's daily driver.
       Check your driveshaft donut or Giubo.  They can come apart with age.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City