Re: alfa-digest V8 #246 - Fuel Pressure light

In a message dated 11/24/2001 9:44:36 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 15:50:38 -0800
> From: "Pat, Andrea & Theo Quinn" <threequinns@domain.elided>
> Subject: Fuel Pressure light
>
> Hi,
> My 'Fuel Pressure' light went on the other day, and gradually it lost all
> power. Could this possibly be related to:
> A) SPICA
> B) Fuel pump
> C) Fuel filter
> D) None of the above
> Thank you,
> Pat

       I think I want E) All of the above and more.  I always heard that when
writing a test that included none of the above, you should include all of the
above.
       You forgot to tell us what year and model Alfa you have.  Spica is a
clue.
       If the Spica pump were leaking big time, the system pressure could go
away.  That is not likely.  The fuel would have to be going somewhere, like
onto the ground or into the oil pan.
       If the fuel pump is not working, you will have no fuel pressure.  If
the fuel filter were plugged, you have no fuel pressure.
        Does the car have any gasoline to pump?  You could have a bad fuel
pressure switch.

       When you say, "gradually it lost all power." I assume you mean the
Alfa, not the fuel pressure light.  If the car has gas in the tank, I would
start with the fuel pump.  Roll under the car and put your hand on the fuel
pump as someone else tries to start the car.  If the pump is not vibrating,
it is not working.  Check the power to the pump.
       Next pull the fuel filter.  Does gas run out of the tank and down your
arm to the armpit (I hate that part)?  Does gas also run out the other end of
the fuel filter?  While you are there, just as well replace the fuel filter
anyway.  No sense filling your armpit with gas twice.
       Just keep checking until you figure out what is not doing what it is
supposed to do.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City