Re: alfa-digest V8 #236 - Brake upgrades

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the advice. Before this I was using Castrol GT LMA fluid and
did not experience this sort of brake sponginesss. After a few laps at
the track, the brake pedal travel seems to increase by quite a bit,
even after being bled. I never understood why, since it had fresh
synthetic fluid (with great dry boiling temp), porterfield pads and a
freshly bled system. I didn't realize that the fluid was the culprit. I
will change to the Castrol GT LMA fluid.

Anyway I think an upgrade is still a must. 8-)

I was thinking of the following brake upgrade (thanks Greg Armstrong
for the suggestion!):
Supra 7MGE 3.0 rotors ('86-'93)
Diameter: 302
Thickness: 22
Min: 21
Height: 53
Bore: 60
Holes: 5
Have it redrilled for the Milano bolt pattern and center bore of 72mm
(tapered) so the hub will fit.
Average price is $60+

The Supra MKIV with the 2JZGE/GTE engine has bigger discs, but I think
the older supra discs would be more than adequate. I guess I could also
go with Nissan Maxima discs (280mm) but its not much cheaper than the
Supra MK III discs. Besides, 280mm and 269mm is really too small of a
difference for an upgrade.

I want to keep the cost about $650 since I cannot afford a $1000+
system. So far I estimate that the cost would be something like...

Wilwood Dynalite calipers $220/pr
Supra Turbo Rotors: $120/pr
misc hardware: $100
Redrilling: $100
Pads: $70
Fudge factor: $50

I will also dispose of my old system , maybe to 4-cyl Alfetta GT/Sedan
owners so I can recoup part of the cost of the upgrade. I think a stock
Milano setup (rebuilt calipers, new rotors) would only be a little bit
cheaper. And on the track, I think the Milano brakes are pretty
hopeless. The fronts are not too bad. But the rears causes the whole
system to becomre mediocre after only a few laps. Hot tranny, hot
exhaust, and a hot transaxle just kills the whole system. Especially if
you have a 2.5" pipe going pass the rear caliper.

I think a bigger front setup and side exhaust (for the track) would
really help.

Hmmm.... I have a few more upgrades before I can be (temporarily)
satisfied. A new LSD transaxle with lightened flywheel, lightened
gears, and kevlar clutch, coilovers and upside down balljoint (from a
Volvo 144), an OMP rollcage, autronic SMC efi. I think the EFI will be
the last since the Milano has adequate power.

Regards,

Zamani
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1