Re: promiscuity (was: wagons)

To John H's list of English translations for "promiscuo/promiscua" (Alfa's abandoned term for a station wagon), I would add "versatile" in analogy to the use of the word "promiscuous" in English in biochemistry for compounds and receptors that interact with a host of others. I am guessing that the word was originally without salacious connotations, but through euphemistic use assumed mostly that, similar to the change in the meaning of the word int*****rse. Obviously, it is possible that some biochemists use the word "promiscuous" metaphorically relative to the now common, historically metaphorical, meaning of the word.

In any case, a little sultry imagery has never hurt car sales.

The Swedish or the Germans also refer the versatility of the station wagon chassis when they refer to it as a "Kombi".
Sonny 1991 164S