Re:1991 Spider model differences (US) + more

In AD# 243 Sonny asks:
"I'm going to take a look at a 1991 Spider tomorrow. It is advertised as a
Veloce, but since it has five-spoke 14" rims, I think it may be a non-Veloce.
I don't know what it says on the rear lid or on the title. A used car website
indicated as there were two models for 1991, "non-Veloce" and Veloce. The
only difference in the charts was that A/C was optional on the non-Veloce and
it came with 14" alloy rims. (The Veloce has 15" telephone dial rims).

Were there any other model differences (upholstery, etc.?).

Is the hardtop marketed in 1991 still available? Rough price range?"

Owning a '91 "Normale" (sorry John H!) from new, and having studied the sales
brochures over and over and ...  well, the differences include (may be more):
1) 14" aluminum or steel wheels/caps on standard model Spider, Veloce has 15"
phone-dials
2) the obvious "SPIDER VELOCE" on the left side rear panel
3) suede door panel inserts as well as suede seat inserts on Veloce
4) map light in glove box on Veloce
5) higher quality canvas top on Veloce, cf. plastic top on standard
6) courtesy lamp on passenger visor, Veloce
7) leather seat bolsters on Veloce, vinyl on standard
8) A/C standard on Veloce, optional on standard model
9) optional hardtop on Veloce, with rear window defroster (switch on console)

Hope this info helps.  Note this is for North American models.  As for the
hardtop, they are available used, and prices depend entirely on condition.
I've seen them from $700 up to $1500.  Watch the Alfa Owner magazine-
assuming you're an AROC member, and/or post here on the AD.  Hardtops can be
found occasionally at the annual national conventions, also.

Dave Jarman
Lexington KY
USA