bonnet (hood!) release

My 33 has a thin cable - actually it looks like fishing line, beside the
regular release lever running from inside the car to the bonnet catch under
the windscreen. After I bought the car one year ago and during the first
drive home the circlip that holds the gearbox shifter in place parted
company from the car and left me stuck in third gear. This happens to 33's
apparently.... Anyhoo, I pulled the bonnet release to check if I could get
at the problem from the engine side but the bonnet didn't budge! I collected
the car a week later after the owner fixed the offending bits.
I got some advice from Keith Walker (33 guru) on the 33 discussion list and
he said the emergency release could be used once, with emphasis on once. The
fishing line still doesn't look too able for the job though.

Happy early Thanksgiving,
J in connemara,
1.3/1.4 alfa 33 1992