Re: 105 engine rationalization

Message text written by INTERNET:alfa@domain.elided
>>Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 23:25:17 -0500
From: Dana Loomis <dloomis@domain.elided>
Subject: 105 engine rationalization

In the USA, where I live, we tended to see Alfa's engine families only in
succession: the 1300 came first, followed by the 1600, followed by the
1750, followed by the 2000, and only one displacement was available at any
given time.  In the rest of the world, it was different.  A range of
engines for different budgets was offered for as long as the 105 cars
remained in production, and the engines themselves continued in 1.3, 1.6,
1.8 and 2.0 l form until well into the 1980s.

This raises a question.  I think of 1750 engines being different from 1600s
in several significant ways other than the bore and stroke, and 2000s being
similarly different from 1750s.  It's possible, however, that this is only
because each of these engines was produced at different times. To take an
example, 1300, 1600 and 1750 engines seen in the USA all have canister-type
oil filters, a 1950s-vintage feature finally eliminated with the adoption
of a spin-on filter on the 2000.  So I'm wondering, in the rest of the
world where these engines continued side by side for another decade or two,
were the designs rationalized so they were identical except for the
displacement?  Were 1600s eventually produced with a spin-on oil filter?
Did 1.8s get a crank drilled for a 6-bolt flywheel like the 2.0?

I suspect the answer is yes, and would be interested in hearing which
changes took place and when they occurred.

Dana Loomis
NC USA
<<

I'll answer your questions very briefly and then leave the rest to the
"esteemed" Mr. H.  AFAIK 1300s and 1600s got the spin-on oil filter in
about 1975, but the 1750 never did, although 116-Series cars of all
capacities including 1.8 had the spin-on oil filter.  Of the 105s only the
2000 ever got the 6-bolt flywheel, and I think all 116s had 6 bolts, but I
wouldn't swear to it.

Chris Sweetapple
Highwood Motor Company
Swansea, U.K.