Is my rack stuffed???

I have just been through another "Alfa Initiation" over the last two days by
upgrading the 164 to Superpro bushes.  It's a long and tedious job, well
covered in these digests and on the 164 page, but thanks to Dennis Martin
for his how-to guide - this really saved me a lot of mucking about.  I
struggled with the job as I parked the car in our tiny town-house garage due
to the threat of rainy weather and an overnight job (I was right about the
overnighter, but wrong about the weather), and this job would be a lot
easier with the car on a hoist instead of axle stands.  My wife has finally
urged me to get a compressor and air tools to speed up these swearing-fests!
I had fun with the seized ball joints as well - I even managed to break the
tool that I bought to get them out, but that's another story.

Due to time constraints, I only did the front A-arm bushes, I have the rear
trailing arms the front sway bar to go yet.  I must say, however that I'm
impressed with the Superpros so far - I was really worried about a thumpy
ride, but the opposite is true.

Now to the real question.  There was a fair bit of fore-and-aft play in the
wheels.  I put down to the ball joints (the originals I think - very dry,
worn and rattly).  The new ball joints haven't reduced the fore-and-aft
play.  The steering arms are tight and secure, the ball joins that connect
the steering arms to the hub carriers are tight.

When driving, there is a "dead" area  in the steering with the wheels
pointing straight ahead.  The steering is vague and wandery - possible this
was there before but was masked by the old bushes and ball joints.  The
fore-and-aft movement of the wheels is worst in the driver's side (RH side).

It seems to me like there is something loose within the rack.  The Cardisc
Manual shows that there are two ball joints under the rack boots.  Is it
possible that these are loose?

Would appreciate any thoughts on this one!  Also, it it safe to keep driving
the car in this condition?  Am I up for a new rack?

Many thanks Alfisti!

John Wiltshire,
Sydney Australia
'89 164 manual RH drive.