Let's assume I'm not a complete moron-for a minute

      Fratelli,

Looks like I found out why I am getting poor mileage and low power: the rear
bank valve timing has slipped, AGAIN, FOR THE THIRD TIME. Each time it had a
new tensioner and I was super anal to do everything right. I have the
manuals, the bulletins and at the time also had the wisdom. Strides of a
cheetah, basically. The interesting part is that each time it lasts about
200miles, with performance deteriorating gradually. What beats me is that
the rear bank is actually ahead of the front bank, and therefore the crank,
too, this by about 10-15 degrees, by the time I get around to check it. Or
else it slipped 345-350 degrees, which meant that the valves got surely
bent, no?. But they're not bent, so: how can the rear bank actually JUMP??
The belt is still on as tight as Richard Simmons' track suit.
 Beats me.
Is there a possibility for a faulty reinstallation of the cam?? A valve
spring that jams up? I had the heads redone by a shop...seems unlikely. They
said all I needed to do was install the heads with all the marks aligned,
install the timing belt, and Bob was my uncle. Could my cam sprocket be worn
out?
This time I removed the entire engine, checked the clearances, got good
compression, etc. Looks like I'm gonna have to spend the money and have a
shop do the work, all of it.
I have rebuilt two VW 4cyl engines, single cam, watercooled, in the past,
all went fine.
I am gonna crawl into my sock drawer and call my analyst, ON A CELL PHONE,
GODDAMMIT.

Still thinking about getting an Alfa tattoo, though. Or the words LOVE and
HATE tattooed on my knuckles. Either will go well with the shmear under my
nails.

1991 164LMan
--
Matthias Kuster L.A., CA