Re: When is it time to replace the springs?

Stacy,
	The only thing that can wear other than the rear springs is the rubber
cushion between the chassis and the aluminum spacer.  This isn't likely.  As
noted in earlier digests, springs can fatigue and sag (highly likely if not
downright inevitable for Spiders!).  On occasion they can break (but this is
rare compared to sagging).  So to answer your questions:
	1)  Look under the rear and see of there is a break in the coil.  If
not, then your springs are sagging.  You can add an ~11mm spacer if your current
spacer is only ~3mm.  (The ~25mm spacers are extremely rare now.)  You can tell
which spacer you have by looking at the top of the spring perch.  The 3mm spacer
is just a black steel stamping.  The 11mm spacer is a cast aluminum piece.
	But the most likely fix is to get new rear springs.  You can go with
performance street springs that don't lower the car (see our digest advertisers
like IAP, Centerline, etc) or buy new factory units if you are happy with the
ride.
	2)  The fronts don't seem to sag as much as the rear - fewer windings.
So you can just replace the rears.  However, if you go with aftermarket rear
springs (as opposed to new factory units), then you will want to get matching
front springs to maintain handling balance.  Spring sets are pretty cheap
anyway.  You're going to spend more on bandaids for your bashed knuckles!
	3)  I think quality and reliability is not the distinguishing feature
for springs.  Hell, there just a bunch of twisted steel.  Maybe some are painted
better than others or prettier colors, but that's about it for quality.  It is
the spring rate and ride height you should be looking for.  This is where they
vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.  As far as I know, there are only 4
manufacturers in the US (other Digesti please correct me if I'm wrong and it
would be interesting to hear from our buddies downunder and across the pond!) -
IAP, AR Ricambi (and IAP might actually buy from the same source as AR Ricambi,
and these were the orginal design from Shankle - anyone hear from him lately?),
Centerline and Ward & Deane.  Check what spring rates each vendor offers (and
make sure they maintain stock ride height).  Then decide how stiff you want to
go.  I have Ward & Dean, but damn they are stiff!  Alan Ward told me they are
about at the limit where the chassis flex is doing more than the springs.  I was
young at the time and said "Nahhhhh!"  Now I'm older and wiser.  I believe him.

Good Luck,
Charlie
'89 Spider
San Jose