Re: 78 Spider water drains.

Hey Ed,
	Looks like your getting Scarlet prepared for winter driving with all
these projects.  Hope there's no snow in your neck of the woods!
	Regarding your earlier post on no fuel pump hum, it's more likely that
you have a fuse, harness or grounding (seem to be having a few of these on the
digest lately, must be an Alfa virus!) rather than a dead fuel pump.  Check all
your fuses.  I can't remember if there is a relay switch or not for the pump.
There might also be a pesky inline fuse too.  There's also a fuel cutoff switch
on the firewall.  Sometimes this gets triggered.  At any rate, if you check all
that and come up with zero, take a voltmeter to terminals on the pump.  If you
have 12V and no hum, it's the pump.  If you don't have 12V, go back through all
the electricals.  A schematic would be good to have.
	For the drains, there are 4 in total.  Two behind the driver and
passenger and two at each corner of the dash.  The ones behind the passenger and
driver don't usually clog up, since they handle water leaking between the top
and the rear.  The ones in the front do clog up because leaves get down into the
cowel area.
	You can get at the rear drain tubes by looking down into the
channel/gutter area where the top frame bolts to the body right behind the
doors.  You should see a drain hole on each side.  Take a long rod (like a
straight coathanger) and gently push down the hole to clear any debris.  Be
gentle because it is a rubber hose attached to the drain hole that leads out
beneath the chassis.  You don't want to rupture it.  You can check by pouring
water into the gutter and watch it drain down below the chassis.
	For the drains under the dash, you can remove the cowel to get at the
drain holes directly.  But this is a pain.  As I recall, you can see the two
rubber hoses if you get under the dash and look into the far forward extremes at
the very edge of the body.  The hoses are held on by spring clamps.  If you
remove the hoses from the drain holes, you can run a rod down the hoses to clear
them out.  Then run a vacuum cleaner to the drain hole to suck out as much
debris from the cowel as you can.

Cheers,
Charlie
'89 Spider