Bad Speedometer

The speedometer on my 1990 Spider (motronic) quit working the other day while
I was driving.  The odometer and trip odometer do not work either.  I have no
clue as to what caused it to fail.  I tried looking in my factory manual, but
could not find anything in there about the speedo.  It is an electronic
speedo, meaning the cable does not actually go all the way to the speedo in
the instrument cluster.  The cable ends at a little box by the clutch master
cylinder.  Then an electical signal is sent to the gauge.  I checked all  the
connections there and every thing seems to be all right.  I have not crawled
under the car yet.  Where does the cable attach to under the car?  Could the
problem be a bad cable?  Electrical problem?  Possibly the actual gauge
itself?  Any ideas, wisdom?

Thanks,

Rob Murphy
Orange Park FL