if it ain't one thing it's another...

It's a darn good thing I'm patient & like
my spider & really want it to work right.
Because it's using all of my patience right now.

Today I decided that I just can't ignore the
funny sound from the front wheels. Jacked up
the car to inspect. Sounds like bearings going,
or perhaps brakes dragging. Can anything else
up there make a noise like that?

Additionally I noted that the upper control arm
caster bushings are shot, on both sides. Obviously
I need to replace these. Can anyone tell me 1)
what is involved with replacing the caster bushings
& 2) should I be replacing other rubber/suspension
parts at the same time, such as the ball joints &
3) are there better parts available, such as ones
made from polyurethane? 4) what is involved with
replacing the wheel bearings?

Additionally, I was thinking as long as I have to
go in there, I'll replace the shocks. Which are better,
for a street-driven car, Koni's or Bilstein's? Are
they worth it for a street-driven car, or are standard
equipment type ok?

thanks for helping (in advance!)

dave sisson
86 spider grad