'85 Spider runs roughly

I have an '85 Spider that was just put back together after having the engine
removed for painting. The car starts okay but when you hit the gas it nearly
stalls. It will pick up after that and run at higher rpms - seemingly okay.
When you let off the gas the car may stall when it returns to idle. I've
replaced all of the vacuum hoses that seem to be related to the timing and
advance. I did not replace those that go outside the engine area. Does
anyone have any ideas where I have gone wrong or what may cause this? Any
help would be nice.
    Mark