Re:importing non-conforming cars into the USA

"There is a famous. Woman who hosts a news or talk show on US TV (I don't
recall her name) who finally was able to bring in a "cute" Smart.

There are probably other people with so much money and so many assistants
they can eventually accomplish anything, no matter how harebrained (they
made Waterworld , Planet of the Apes, and the Postman, after all)."

Is it significant that Kevin Costner starred in two of those three movies?

If I remember correctly, it was Sallie Jessie Raphael who brought the Smart
car in.  Since this topic comes up quite regularly, we should pool our money
like we did during the "Richard Welty Digest Pledge Drive" and bring an old
Fiat Panda over.  If we get it titled and registered, we'll have the answer
to the ultimate question for American Digesters "How do I bring a new Alfa
xxx back from Europe?".  If not, we won't be out much money.

If we had a Digester who worked at the DMV, we could find out how to get
these cars in.  Right next to Centerline in Boulder Colorado is a rear
engined Renault R5.  It is street legal (I assume in the <wink wink> sort of
way we're discussing).  I may grill the owner on the particulars of how he
got it through customs.

Cheers,
Lawrence - Chairman of the Telecom Pledge Drive
'71 GTV

Lawrence Gowin
Level (3) Communications
lawrence.gowin@domain.elided