Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 23:03:42 -0500
From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
Subject: Zamani's suspension

Well, I've been inspired to throw in my two cents on 75 suspension
upgrades (that's suspension upgrades for the Alfa 75 that I'm
referring to, not some kind of remix of "76 Trombones" or
something...).  I think Zamani is nuts to want to install coilovers
on his Milano.  How 'bout throwing out the deDion for swing axles
next?  Not to be harsh, but aren't there stiffer torsion bars
available that will suit your purposes?  For coilovers not to induce
massive chassis flexing, you'd have to reinforce stuff like was done
to the Beninca Alfetta.  It seems to me that the SZ, with its
unfortunately coilover front suspension, lacks 50/50 weight
distribution and weighs more than a GTV6.  I blame the coilover
suspension and necessary changes made to the structure of the front
of the car.  Transaxles are great but face it, the torsion bar
suspension is the real reason that our Alfas have 50/50 weight
distribution.  Consider the 928, C5 Corvette and new Maseratis...all
w/transaxles, all with 52/48 weight distribution.  Jaguar E-type was
50/50 w/ a conventional drivetrain, but it had a torsion bar front
suspension.  I realize that Zamani just wants to augment the existing
system, but I'm guessing it's not a good investment to do so with
coil springs.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6