75/Milano Coilover suspension

Hey this is cool. I am even honored with a topic bearing my name 8-).

If you guys go to the Alfa 75 groups on yahoo, there is a guy with a 75
1.8 Turbo with a coilover setup to assist the torsion bars. He uses AVO
race shocks and springs. Let's compare the costs of a coil over kit vs
torsion bars:

Coilover:
coil springs: $100
coilover kit: $84
Labor: $100

Torsion bars:
25.4mm bars: $250 if you can find them (ricambi is out, what else is
new).
27mm bars: $300 ( a pain to install)
Labor to install: $250

The problem with the 27mm bars is that the installation process is a
real pain according to many who have tried to do it.

The coilover conversion only involves getting the threaded body from
carrera ($84 for 2 kits for 2 shocks). You can use the standard Milano
shocks. And the springs 4" length 1.875" ID is only $100.

I don't think the body will flex that much because I intend to use soft
helper springs, like 75-100 lbs/in. If it were a purely coilover setup,
than yes, I would really worry about the chassis flex.

The SZ uses a coilover setup and it doesn't even have a strut tower
bar. WHy did Alfa not use the torsion bar setup for the SZ? I'm sure it
was not only for ride height adjustability. I'm converting to a 164
type plenum soon, I hope, and so I can add a strut tower bar. I will
also seam weld the strut mounts on my Milano.

Thanks for your inputs, if you have any other suggestions or comments
please put it forward so I can rethink my decision.

Zamani
http://personals.yahoo.com