Customer no service

When someone responded to my post by suggesting I call APE in Tracy CA, I was
excited to find another Alfa parts dealer for my cars.  So I made the call.
Hmmm... After several busy signals, I finally got ahold of "Tom".  He put me
on hold for 15 minutes (long distance) while he looked for the part.   I
finally hung up, wondering if he just forgot about me.  When I called back a
half hour later,  he said he didn't know yet.  What was going on for that 15
minutes I waited?

Still being hopeful I asked him "ok, what should I do now?"  He said call me
the next day.  I called back the next day.  The next day, after several more
busy signals, he still didn't know if he had the part.  He asked for my phone
number and said he would call the next day.  I gave him my home phone (have
message machine), and my cellphone (has voice mail).  No call in two days.

Day 4, after several more busy signals, I got a message machine.  I stated
who I was, and that I still hadn't heard from them.  I asked that someone
call me to tell me whether they had the part so that I could get on with my
life. NO RESPONSE!!

I'm sorry, but is having an Alfa a big 'ol "kick me" sign?  What's going on
here?  I get the feeling some of these places are really video stores with a
little closet full of Alfa stuff that they sell when things are slow.

Does anybody know the story about this place?  Was this a quirk, or is this
what I can expect from them?

I don't mean this to be my own personal consumer forum, but I think I would
appreciate knowing of this kind of stuff.  I've wasted more than a week, and
I'm trying to get the parts so I could get the car painted!