Re: Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and castor oil

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean W. Cains" <dwc@domain.elided>
<snip>
<<On a more serious note, I do remember very clearly the unique smell of
Castrol R at vintage races I attended at Lime Rock and Bridgehampton nearly
30 years ago.  Lots of Lotus 7's and 11's, Osca's, Maserati Birdcage's,
Porsche 550's and 356's, Jaguar Xk's and even a D-Type once in a
while.  Most of these guys used Castrol R, which is indeed oil from the
castor bean plant (Ricinus communis).>>
When I was a kid in Buenos Aires I attended a number of scooter races,
mostly run on street circuits (a la Monaco).
These 2 cycle little engines (150-175cc) would produce a very particular
"race smell".  As teen agers, in an attempt to mimic that race feel, we kids
would mix our engine gasoline with castor oil instead of the recommended
dino oil, to reproduce such a smell.  And it smelled the same.  It even felt
that the engine went faster!, just like a K&N filter or a louder exhaust
would make you believe.  But I have no idea what the real guys used, or if
the engine suffered gunk deposits.  What Dean says is very interesting.

Jorge Mazlumian
ex Lambretta 125 owner